How to get your CIBIL score for FREE
Do you know what is your CIBIL score? Or what is inside your credit report?
You will agree that it makes you anxious to know what would be written inside your credit report.
In the following sections, I am going to show you how you get it for FREE. Not only that, I will show you how you can get Four Free Reports every year.
In this article we will cover
- What is Credit Information Report and what is Credit Score?
- How to get it for FREE
- CRIF High Mark
- Other Questions
WWhat is Credit Information Report and what is Credit Score?
First – Credit Information Report (CIR) – A credit information report is a report that has details of your entire credit history. This information is collected and collated by a credit information company. Whenever you apply for a credit card or loan, the Banks (or any other lender) contacts a credit bureau to check your credit history to know details whether you have paid earlier bills on time. This information reflects your monthly payments and gives insights as to how you manage your credit. Now all this becomes part of your overall credit history, and will reflect in your credit information report.
Second – Credit Score – A Credit score is a 3-digit number between 300 and 900. It is created using proprietary algorithm that summarizes your past credit history. It reflects the probability whether a you as a borrower will pay off the loan in a timely fashion. A high number means you have been paying off your past dues (towards credit cards and loans) regularly and have rarely delayed payment. This gives lenders more confidence in extending larger credit to borrowers with high credit score.
How to get it for FREE
In next few lines I am going to show you how you can get free Full credit report.
From 1 January 2017, it has become compulsory for all credit bureaus to give One FREE credit report every year to any individual who demands it. At present, there are four such companies in India:
- Transunion Cibil Ltd – oldest and most widely used
- CRIF High Mark Credit Information Services Pvt. Ltd
- Equifax Credit Information Services Pvt. Ltd, and
- Experian Credit Information Co. of India Pvt. Ltd.
As you can see, you can avail One FREE credit report from each bureau, this means that you can get four free reports every year.
CIBIL (Part of Transunion):
You can go to this link – https://www.cibil.com/freecibilscore and submit your details. You would have to provide an identity proof like PAN Number, Passport, Voter ID or Driver License.
Consumers who fail the online authentication can still submit the KYC documents through postal mail. It normally takes 7 working days to verify the documents and dispatch the login credentials to the consumer for accessing her free CIBIL score and report on their website.
I got my free report from Cibil and it took about 5-10 minutes in a single session to get the report online. And CIBIL has the easiest process – Believe me 🙂 . Before you go ahead with this, make sure you have your credit card or loan details to verify your report.
CRIF High Mark:
1) Go to this Link – https://cir.crifhighmark.com/Inquiry/B2C/B2CFFCRPortal.action and Click on “Get Your Free Credit Report”.
2) Enter your email to continue
3) Fill the form with basic details.
4) Next Provide either PAN and Aadhar number to be able to receive your free Credit Information Report.
5) Next Provide your Address and click on Submit. An Email will be sent to your registered email id with steps to proceed further
6) CRIF High Mark will verify the details provided by you.
7) If you receive a message that your details could not be verified, please enter the correct details and resubmit the form.
8) If you are still facing any problems, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org from your registered email-ID.
9) On successful verification of your details, you will be emailed your Credit Report ID & link for answering the Credit Report Related Questions.
10) On successfully answering your Credit Report Related Questions, your FREE Credit Information Report will be delivered to your registered email id.
To get the Equifax report, first you must download its android or iOS mobile application then follow these steps
1) Login to the Equifax App
- Give your email address to receive a temporary pin
- Login using your email & pin and create a 6-digit login
- Provide your personal information & your Aadhar card to validate your identity
- After your information is confirmed, an OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number (number which is linked to Aadhar card)
- Enter your OTP in the Equifax App
- You will then be asked to provide personal details such as DOB, Address and an Identity proof like PAN, Passport or Voter ID
3) Get your Report
- Login to Equifax App after 24-hours (24-hours after the successful completion of step 1 above) You must authenticate your identity based on your credit history by answering few questions. Answer three questions based on your credit history (Note: You have only four attempts to do this).
- Once authenticated successfully, your password protected credit report will be sent to your registered email address within 24-hours.
- Password of the report: First 4 characters of your name (with 1st character capitalised), followed by YYYY (year of birth), followed by “@” (symbol) and last 4 digits of your Aadhaar number as entered in the input field. E.g. – Abcd1990@1234
As you can see from above, it’s not a straight forward process but hey its free so little work is fine with me.
And last one –
the process for free credit report from Experian is also straightforward except that you must get a voucher code. It takes up to 48 hours to get the voucher after you place the initial request on the company’s website. Go to this link www.experian.in and Click on – Get Your Credit Report and Score. You must provide your name, email, phone number, birth date and one Identity proof.
After submitting the details, you will get a message like this.
Once you receive the voucher code, you can get the report in a few steps in a single session. The instructions are shared along with the code. Basically, after entering the voucher code, you will be asked to answer a few questions based on your credit history. I could get my Experian report recently and it took me 3 days to get it.
What is the difference between credit score and credit report?
Credit score is part of your credit report and it is derived based on your past credit history. Your credit report covers your entire history of dealing with credit (loans and credit cards) including your history of payments (on time or delayed). Your credit history shows the current status of each credit account – active, closed, delinquent, settled etc.
How much does my credit report cost?
Credit reports normally cost around Rs. 1,200/year if you approach the credit bureau directly. By paying Rs 1,200 you get the credit report and quarterly updates for a year. But this varies from company to company. CIBIL charges 1200/year with 4 Score updates.
How is CIBIL Score different from credit score?
CIBIL score is a 3-digit credit score which is calculated and furnished by Credit Information Bureau (India) Ltd, which is the country’s oldest credit bureau and hence many leading lenders shows their interest for Good CIBIL score. However, credit score is a three-digit number which is calculated by credit bureaus on the basis of an individual’s past credit history.
How is CIBIL Score different from credit ratings?
Credit report is applicable to individuals (person / people) and is provided by one of the four Indian credit bureaus CIBIL TransUnion, Experian, Equifax or CRIF High Mark. CIBIL Score is the score provided by CIBIL TransUnion. Credit rating, on the contrary, applies to Corporate (Companies) and is provided by rating agencies such as CRISIL, ICRA, etc. It is assigned upon analysis of profitability and balance sheet of the company.